Let’s face it – going to the dentist isn’t one of the most glamorous ways to spend a Tuesday afternoon. However, it is incredibly important to your overall health and wellness that you take a proactive approach to your oral hygiene, which means going to the dentist at least twice per year. Many people avoid the dentist because they are afraid of what he or she will find during the exam, but this is a huge mistake. It is important for people of all ages to take a proactive approach to their oral health, which means finding a dentist that will provide you with the care and attention you need. Dentists are aware of the stigma associated with their profession, which is why we believe in going above and beyond and doing everything we can to make you feel comfortable and well cared for. Dr. Naik and the entire Las Colinas team care about each and every patient who walks through our doors and will do what we can to make you feel at ease.
As it is with trying anything for the first time, that initial dentist visit is always the most intimidating. Not only have you never met the person who will be taking an intimate look at the inside of your mouth, but the last thing you want to hear is bad news. With that in mind, we thought it would be helpful to go over what you can expect during your first dental visit. While no two patients are the same, there are a few things that will take place during your first visit at our Irving dental clinic that are pretty much the same for every patient:
- An assessment of your medical history. Before anything else happens, the dentist will sit down and go over your medical history with you. This not only includes your oral health, but your general health and medical conditions as well. Many people do not realize this, but there are a handful of diseases (such as diabetes, thyroid disorders, epilepsy, and heart conditions) that can affect your dental health. We will also discuss any current and previous medications, as some of them can have a negative effect on the saliva and lead to infection.
- We will update your X-rays. Once we have gone over your medical history, we will take x-rays so that Dr. Naik can monitor tooth and jaw development, in addition to your overall bone health.
- A dental hygienist will clean your teeth. Before you are seen by the dentist, one of our talented dental hygienists will clean your teeth and check to see how effective your at-home brushing and flossing has been. During this time we will also provide you with a wealth of information on what you can do at home to improve your overall health. We love educating our patients and are passionate about oral health and making sure our patients have the information they need to keep their mouth, teeth, and gums happy and healthy!
- We will perform a dental exam. At this point your Las Colinas dentist will perform a thorough dental exam to assess your teeth, gums, mouth, and jaw. Dr. Naik will also field any questions you may have and recommend any current or future treatment that may be needed.
- We will go over preventative oral health recommendations. As stated, your oral health is important to us, which is why we take the time to discuss preventative treatments for you. This may include sealants and fluoride in order to prevent cavities, or another type of orthodontic care.
The first visit to the dentist is always the scariest, but you can rest assured that our entire Las Colinas team is here to make you feel comfortable and get on the right track with your oral health. We look forward to seeing you in our clinic soon!